Monday 21 January 2013

Excerpts from my SOP Editing Process...


Statement Of Purpose  Original Draft 1:
I am looking for a place where I can juggle with some hardware, do lots of
coding in interfacing systems and use control engineering principles to build robots and
automatic systems. I am glad that my thought process had a fusion of mechanical
structures and firmware right from my childhood any specific instance/background that brought about this interest , which could possibly be my inner drive to graduate me in Mechatronics with distinction.
I recollect that my debut in the programming area was during my final grade in
elementary school. I started programming in BASIC, the most primitive parlance of
computers. Eventually, I obtained a Post Graduate Diploma in Computer Application when
I was just about to complete my middle school at the age of …!!l, by then, I had developed some games with my Uncanny reword this has a –ve connotation to it expertise in C programming.
It was during my high school days when I tried to learn the nuances and
intricacies involved in software engineering principles and gained expertise in many of
the commercial computer languages and packages – through a  Higher Diploma in
Software Engineering from APTECH Computer Education. It was really a wonderful experience when I built my first ever radio with my petty exposure to electronics. Burgeoning interest in electronics motivated  me to pursue  a Diploma certificate in what ?.
It was really a criticaldecision for me do a bachelors in Mechatronics engineering – with high hopes that I would attain my destiny?(intangible reword this maybe goal/objective)  why mechatronics  as field of choice is not clear there is no mention of your intrest in mechanics its only Hardware and software that you are discussing here .
My graduation did partially satiate my thirst for learning & technological
proficiency. Though, I gained substantial exposure in a gamut of technicalities like Thin-
Films fabrication, Machine Vision, MEMS, Embedded Systems and Robotics. I could not
fathom my research capabilities with my work on sensors and vision systems.
Expectations grew big on me when I, jointly, did industry projects and indigenously
developed a very low cost humanoid robot. My ambidextrous robot could  roll on its legs
and had the ability to speak from text. It can be controlled from a remote computer as the
mechanical structure was actuated by a remote application, which was built using Java
RMI and Java Speech API. The making of my robot was a memorable experience both in
terms of success and hardships, as this metallic incarnation was  as though bringing to life a part of my imagination.
I invigorated myself and joined a software consulting multi-national corporation –
where I honed my soft kills and efficiently utilized my technological skills in achieving
excellence. I did showcase an excellent demeanor and proved my mettle in executing
critical projects in a demanding atmosphere your reasons for joining software firm have to be more convincing here , you need to correlate this to your Masters program  .
Conclusion needs to talk about why this program , and why at this university – this needs to discus your short term goals and how these can be achieved through masters and lay the foundation for your  long term goals

Heading to take my next leap towards my destiny?(goal would be better here) –where I can accomplish my succeeding milestone in a long peregrination of research & development of an intelligent micro-mechatronic system catering the ever-changing technological needs of humans. ( this appears very vague , make it specifc as explained above)

Version 1 Edit 


Statement of Purpose
I am looking for a structured learning program where I can juggle with some hardware, do lots of coding in interfacing systems and use control engineering principles to build robots and automatic systems.  I am glad that my thought process brought about  a fusion of mechanical structures and firmware right from my childhood as I used to dismantle old transistor radios and also,play with electromagnets connected directly to an AC supply and getting a shock rarely discouraged me from doing so again Robots have always drawn the curiosity of children, industrialists and robotics professionals. Like any other kid I was intrigued with robots and enjoyed to have fun with them (mention if u exposure to robots here )..

I can vividly recollect my debut in the programming area during my final grade in elementary school. I started programming in BASIC, the most primitive parlance of computers. Eventually, I obtained a Post Graduate Diploma in Computer Application when I was just about to complete my middle school at the tender age of 12. While doing my course I developed a shooting game with my expertise in C programming (what was so novel abt this program).It was during my high school days when I tried to learn the nuances and intricacies involved in software engineering principles and gained expertise in many of the commercial computer languages and packages – through a Higher Diploma in Software Engineering from APTECH Computer Education.  Correlate here technically bring out shortcomings of software which prompted to    It was really a wonderful experience when I built my first ever radio with my petty exposure to electronics. Burgeoning interest in electronics motivated me to pursue a Diploma in electronics where I learnt the circuitry of a tape recorder and television and realized how manipulation of electrons and electromagnetic waves could help humans to enjoy the benefits of information technology (not IT or probably electronics)

Though, I had an opportunity to take up other programs like computer science engineering which was the trend among many of the high school students in my state. I believed in applying both my software and electronics skills at learning new technologies I found Mechatronics as the best course which could suit my career interests at that stage.I fondly refer to this course as a “Sandwich of mechanical and electronics engineering topped with software”. True to my thoughts, the definition of Mechatronics does read as the synergistic combination of mechanical, electrical, electronics, control and software engineering I  also wanted take robotics as a profession rather as a hobby and just for this reason it was really a critical decision for me do a bachelors in Mechatronics engineering – which was offered in very few colleges in India. I believe that the intrinsic interest developed in the childhood also led to an inner drive for me to pursue my graduation in Mechatronics with distinction

My graduation did partially satiate my thirst for learning & technological proficiency. Though, I gained substantial exposure in a gamut of technicalities like Thin- Films fabrication, Machine Vision, MEMS, Embedded Systems and Robotics. I could not utilize  my research capabilities to the fullest pertaining to my work on sensors and vision systems Expectations grew big on me why?  when I, decided to jointly, undertake industry projects and indigenously developed a very low cost humanoid robot. My ambidextrous robot could roll on its legs and had the ability to speak from text. It can be controlled from a remote computer as the mechanical structure was actuated by a remote application, which was built using Java RMI and Java Speech API. The making of my robot was a memorable experience both in terms of success and hardships, as this metallic incarnation was as though bringing to life a part of my imagination.

            During my Bachelors I had done  a course on “Software Engineering” where I was theoretically exposed to the activities involved in project management like discerning scope, planning, estimation, risk mitigation, cost and time management. These skills I believe are highly essential for any research or for executing industry projects. Coincidently after my graduation, I got a chance to  hone these skills as a software consultant at Tata Consultancy Services Ltd. a multinational software consulting company. Here, I was involved in 3 projects concurrently and multi-tasked effectively, , meeting the expected deliverables and suggesting cost effective solutions. I honed my soft kills like ? and efficiently utilized my technical knowledge in achieving excellence. I have displayed an excellent demeanor and proved my mettle in all my assignments.

Why still the need for masters is there after working for two years ?
           
Why this university: This para needs to tailormade to the university research

           I am looking forward to work in your esteemed institution under your able guidance.why talk abt the research done in their dept /lab , u can even mention the name of a prof you have interacted with  I find the researches and the publications from you team is related to my interests and I believe that your lab (name any specific lab)will be a perfect platform for u need to map u’r short term goals I strongly believe that pursuing my career in developing micro-mechatronic products for bio-medical application will not only help in achieving my ambition in professional career but also make me a valuable asset for human society. This could be your short term goal   to the masters programi,e what u abt what u aspire to do post the MS degree and the talk abt the long term goals as mentioned here  my next venture be explicit mention what it is?

I believe that I have the perfect blend of all the relevant  technological and  project execution skills to take up my graduate research in the field of  Mechatronics.

Almost Final Version
Statement of Purpose
I am looking for a structured learning program where I can juggle with some hardware, do lots of coding in interfacing systems and use control engineering principles to build robots and automatic systems. I am glad that my thought process brought about a fusion of mechanical structures and firmware right from my childhood as I used to dismantle old transistor radios and also play with electromagnets connected directly to an AC supply and getting a shock rarely discouraged me from doing so again. Robots have always drawn the curiosity of children, industrialists and robotics professionals. Like any other kid I was intrigued with robots and enjoyed to have fun with toy robots.

I can vividly recollect my debut in the programming area during my final grade in elementary school. I started programming in BASIC, the most primitive parlance of computers. Eventually, I obtained a Post Graduate Diploma in Computer Application when I was just about to complete my middle school at the tender age of 12. While doing my course I developed a shooting game with my expertise in C programming. This program consisted majority of the functionalities in C right from file-manipulation to graphics and handling interrupts. It was during my high school days when I did a course on Higher Diploma in Software Engineering, from APTECH Computer Education. This course helped me to learn many of the commercial languages, packages and database systems. I found myself inclined towards systems programming similar to device drivers like accessing the hardware signals connected to the computer, manipulating directly with memory address and TSR programs. At that stage when I self-learnt to flip-flop the LEDs in the keyboard with a small program it was really amazing to me and started fooling around this activity by doing permutations and combinations in switching on & off of the three LED bulbs in keyboard. I could not find any application for this feature which I felt as my in-ability to seam this program with any external device since during the same period I had built my first ever radio this motivated me to further explore the field of electronics through a diploma course in electronics where I learnt the circuitry of a tape recorder and television and realized how manipulation of electrons and electromagnetic waves  with the help of a computer could help humans to enjoy the benefits of electronics.
Though, I had an opportunity to take up other programs like computer science engineering which was the trend among many of the high school students in my state. I believed in applying both my software and electronics skills at learning new technologies I found Mechatronics as the best course which could suit my career interests at that stage. I fondly refer to this course as a “Sandwich of mechanical and electronics engineering topped with software”. True to my thoughts, the definition of Mechatronics does read as the synergistic combination of mechanical, electrical, electronics, control and software engineering. I also wanted take robotics as a profession rather as a hobby and just for this reason it was really a critical decision for me do a bachelors in Mechatronics engineering – which was offered in very few colleges in India. I believe that the intrinsic interest developed in the childhood also led to an inner drive for me to pursue my graduation in Mechatronics with distinction.

My graduation did partially satiate my thirst for learning & technological proficiency. Though, I gained substantial exposure in a gamut of technicalities like Mechanics, Thin-Films fabrication, Machine Vision, MEMS, Embedded Systems and Robotics. I justified my decision of choosing Mechatronics when I did a small project for a contest. I purchased the mechanical links of a four-legged walking robot discarded the circuitry that came along with it and refurbished the robot with my own circuitry to connect it with a computer using IR links. I made the circuitry actuate the robot by using my old childhood program, which was the flip-flops of the LED bulbs in keyboard. I was satisfied that I was able to  finally fnd an application to this feature..I could not utilize my research capabilities to the fullest pertaining to my work on sensors and vision systems. and my tryst in different research activities had increased the expectations of my faculty hence I decided to do an industry project for my thesis. We worked on automated textile inspection system for textile industries to identify a couple of textile defects we really did better to satisfy all the stakeholders of the project. While doing my thesis I also developed  an Humanoid Robot - ambidextrous robot could roll on its legs and had the ability to speak from text. The making of this robot was a memorable experience both in terms of success and hardships, as this metallic incarnation was able to bring only a part of my imagination into reality. by utilizing my research in sensors and vision (can we say this )
            During my Bachelors I had done a course on “Software Engineering” where I was theoretically exposed to the activities involved in project management like discerning scope, planning, estimation, risk mitigation, cost, and time management. These skills I believe are highly essential for any research or for executing industry projects. Coincidently after my graduation, I got a chance to hone these skills as a software consultant at Tata Consultancy Services Ltd. a multinational software consulting company. Here, I was involved in 3 projects concurrently and multi-tasked effectively, meeting the expected deliverables and suggesting optimized solutions. I honed my soft kills like leadership qualities and people management and efficiently utilized my technical knowledge in achieving excellence. I have displayed an excellent demeanor and proved my mettle in all my assignments.

            Looking back at  the research  I have accomplished till date along with my software experience , I still believe that I need to channelize my learning process. through a Masters in Mechatronics where I can develop micro-mechatronic products dedicated to perform minimally invasive surgery and cater the emerging needs of bio-medical applications.

            MIT has always been the dream destination for many of the researchers and engineers. The university offers a very wide range of areas to conduct good quality research. I am much specifically impressed by the researches going on in      D’Arbeloff Bio and Robotics Laboratory and Robot Mobility Group. The project on the biological inspiration of five finger bio-robots is really amazing. I am sure that working under MITs’ enriching academic milieu will help me to develop my research potential to the fullest. My continual research in the area of Mechatronics will definitely help me complete my doctoral thesis at MIT.





3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ideas which are mentioned here are all the way pass through the good experience towards writing a good personal statement that will be accepted by the directors. mba statement of purpose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your valuable information. It really gives me an insight on this topic. I'll visit here again for more information.
    sop editing

    ReplyDelete